Monday, 29 March 2010

Chuck it in Second

So, Back again...

Yeah the next day I did go to the Egypt night - albeit a little jaded, having found out 5 minutes before I was about to leave that I wasn't required on my campaign anymore, ie, don't come back on Monday.

Anyhow, the Egypt night was good, some free food, good talk, and some socialising.

The next day was the Travel show - I basically spent the whole day there, mainly to hear all the different talks, including one from a guy who wrote a 'bucket list' of 100 things, and was ticking them off. I also booked a tour to Normandy (for this weekend - Easter) and got a discount, which was all good. Having thought about Egypt from my discussions on the Tuesday night with the TopDeck people at the travel buddy evening - I spent time at work (between calls) researching the different companies offering tours there, and Croatia, and was considering booking a tour then too, but due to the uncertainty and renewed lack of job, I didn't - not all was lost of course, as the research was more valuable than the discounts. I didn't score as many freebies this year, and it seemed a bit claustrophobic.

Sunday was the free spit roast at the Redback - it took a while for it to be ready, but once it was, it was totally worth the wait. I got talking to some South Africans and a Brit, and hung with them for the night.

The following week I got 3 days work from my agency, helping a disabled lady with her administration work. It turns out she was someone my sister had worked for, 2 years earlier. She was nice, and one of the days we attended a conference at the Government Office of London, which had some good views (although the seminar was as boring as paint drying). The following day was 4 hours work, but basically just attending the opening of a new kitchen.

On the Friday night I went to the opening of a new bar in Embankment, called Opal. The problem being, when I looked it up on the net before leaving, it told me it was in Westminster, so I spent over an hour traipsing around there looking for it, even going so far as asking the staff at New Scotland Yard (yes the famous cop shop) if they could help me find it. Eventually worked out with the help of Bev at home on the internet, where it was.

Saturday I didn't get up to much... Sunday Bev and I caught up with a friend from our Turkey trip.

Monday I worked again for a day. Tuesday I found out Toyota wanted me back on Thursday, Wednesday I went for an interview near Tower Bridge, so afterwards I had a Salt Beef sandwich (ie what we would call Corn Beef, but over here corn beef is spam - I think I've mentioned this before) and then did Tower Bridge (ie went up inside it and across the walkways at the top) and Monument (the monument to the Fire of London in 1666)- something that's been on the list for a while. On that topic - I have been reading a book lately where the author travels around the streets on the board in real life - he happens to mention Pudding lane - where Monument is - however points out that it's name isn't anything to do with dessert, rather the fact when the Thames (the Sewer of the day) flooded... well you can guess the rest.

Thursday I was back at Toyota, Friday, ditto, but also managed an hour lunch to attend the free Temp's lunch my agency put on in Putney. That night I went to Couchsurfing party at Cannon Street - the idea behind it being you can practise languages, but naturally the language most spoken is English, as its the common denominator (and it is England).
Saturday worked, then went home and read probably 300 pages.
Sunday woke up, read, had lunch/Breakfast with Scott at the Indian place, did some shopping, went home, read some more, went to Suzanne's and used the internet, slept, and did it all again today...

So coming up next time on JT vs. World II - Normandy...

No comments:

Post a Comment