Monday 27 April 2020

Isolation Day 33 - Last day of Level 4

In years to come, I will look back at this month of my life with some fondness and sentimentality. I say this as I feel I have done my best to use it as productively as possible, albeit the further into it I got, the more marginal the productivity felt. There are things on the To Do list I didn't even get to touch, and to be honest I didn't spend the time to prioritise  the tasks on it, so there are still some things that perhaps should have been done, but nothing of course that is hugely important. My focus was more on momentum, so I did things when it seemed logical (eg cleaning the car and house windows on rainy days, as there was bound to be some) and in terms of cleaning the house, working my way through it, and vacuuming once the clutter was out of the way etc. The sentimentality comes from it being the time I essentially was "living my best life" and achieving some of the things that I hadn't managed to in the 6 years I have been living in this house, such as clearing out some of my wardrobe, and going through what I have on my bookshelves in the lounge.

Like I said before, the further into the lockdown, the more marginal the productivity felt, so it's hard to list the things I got done since the last entry, but I'll give it a go.

More things I have got done
Managed to not go to supermarket until the day after they reviewed the level
Managed to make space in pantry and Freezer
Did lots of cooking

Other observations
Anzac Day.
One of my favourite memories of the lockdown would be the morning of Anzac Day. Because no one could go to an Anzac day service, the country was encouraged to celebrate it by standing at the end of their driveways at the traditional Anzac Dawn service time (ie 6am). I have only been to about 3 other dawn services in my life time (once in Kaitaia, and twice in consecutive years with my ex-girlfriend Susan). Because of the lack of travel required, I found it relatively easy to get up and attend. I was surprised that more neighbours weren't up and out there, but there was about 3 couples, several houses down on either side of me (the third were from road that T-junctions in front of my house).
What made it especially poignant, was what was going on globally at this time, and the fact that our country was again requiring us to do our bit, albeit, a simple sacrifice compared to risking our lives and going to war. One of the couples several doors down were watching the national service on their iPad, and because it was so quiet otherwise, I managed to hear it all.

Panic at the supermarket
As it was the only time I went out in public, it was actually a bit confronting going to the supermarket again. Especially as there was lots of people, (seemingly it was like because it was one of the few allowances that people were given, they probably went more than they actually needed to.) Of course then people didn't seem to respect my personal boundaries as much as I would have liked.
Needless to say, I ended up feeling a bit agoraphobic at the supermarket, but that is not surprising, when you also consider for over a month before lockdown I had already been in relative isolation down in Awakino.

No comments:

Post a Comment