Thursday 2 April 2020

Isolation Week 1

So here I am, well, we all are, in isolation, unless you are from Australia and really dragging the chain on this one...

Personally I'm enjoying being able to do the things that I haven't had the time to do in recent times. It's like being at the beach over Christmas, albeit I feel less guilt for not going swimming more, climbing the Mount (Mt. Maunganui) etc. and there is internet and most of my possessions here.

Unfortunately some of my more fun and recreational "to-dos" are at the beach, such as all my Lego, and my stamp and other collections. This has benefits though, in the sense that I'm doing the less fun and possibly more important, necessary and beneficial tasks.

I came back to Hamilton the day/night before lock down, so I had about 24 hours to get what I might have needed. As it was, my freezer and and pantry are pretty well stocked anyway, as I'm a supermarket addict, and enjoy eating, and therefore enjoy growing things in my garden as well as cooking. Having only being home one or two nights a week for the past month, I had a full contingent of pre-made dinners already made in the fridge's freezer. To be honest I appreciated the opportunity to get to use them up, as well as starting to use some of the countless supplies in the chest freezer such as mixed veges and all the (grated and sliced) courgettes that have been growing in my garden.

On the day before lock down I went out, mainly to hunt out some manure and/or compost, so I could restock my garden as well as possibly going about fixing up the differing levels of my lawn. Unfortunately, other people probably had had the same idea, and the couple of places nearby where I know there is usually manure available on the side of the road (pre-bagged, either for sale or free) had already been stripped of their goods. So I ended up going to the Warehouse and picked up six bags of compost, as well as a copy of the book "Funny As" (which was published alongside the documentary of the same name, which talked about the history of New Zealand comedy) for $15, which I think was a bargain. To be fair, I felt the Warehouse was treating the day like Boxing day - a good opportunity to sell sell sell, albeit with social distancing. Before going home, I thought a good idea would be to get some more Masala oats (like porridge, just curried) as they don't require milk.

So tasks I have ticked off since isolating:
  • Washed car
  • cleaned the bathroom, including the bath and both toilets, and the shower curtain
  • gone through my recipe books and (tried to) cull some of them (I only managed to decide to get rid of two, and send two others to the beach)
  • Made the bed and tidied up the spare room.
  • Partially tidied my room (still a work in progress)
  • Culled some of the clothes in my drawers
  • Put away all my clothes
  • Tidied my pantry
  • Gone for a 4km walk most days (so far only missed two non-consecutive days)
  • Used up some of my frozen dinners,
  • Generated some more (I had portions of Scalloped Potatoes already made, so I added some shredded chicken (already pre-frozen) and courgette bake which I made
  • Today I used a frozen pumpkin soup which I pimped out by adding some bacon pieces and chopped up small chillis, and made some beer bread. Unfortunately the bread ended up being a bit more of a pizza.
Along with the above tasks, I have also attended two online comedy workshops, participated in an online open mic, participated in a MCed quiz (like a pub quiz, just online instead),

As you can probably tell, I've also been attempting to resurrect my blog. Keep an eye out, I'm updating it, but jumping a little from entries from Bali in 2018 to entries in Europe in 2014, to present day entries such as this (in 2020) 

No comments:

Post a Comment